Comparative and Superlative
1. One syllable adjectives:
Comparative : + er : smaller
Superlative: + est : the smallest
2. One syllable adjectives ending in 'e': brave
Comparative : + r : braver
Superlative: + st : the bravest
3. One syllable adjectives ending in consonant - vowel - consonant: big
Comparative : add consonant + er : big + g + er = bigger
Superlative: add consonant + est : the + big + g + est = the biggest
4. Two syllable adjectives ending in 'y': happy
Comparative : delete “ y” and add -ier : happier
Superlative: delete “y” and add --iest : the happiest
5. Two or more syllable adjectives: interesting
Comparative : add “ more ” to adjective: more interesting
Superlative : add “the most ” to adjective: the most interesting
Comparative and superlative of adjectives
Adjectives ending in one vowel and one consonant
Adjectives ending in
Adjectives with two or more syllables
the most expensive
the most beautiful
6. Irregular adjectives
1. We use comparatives to compare two things.
Samir is taller than Ali.
Reading a book is more interesting than watching TV.
My car is faster than my friend's car.
2. We use superlatives to compare one thing with the rest of the group it belongs to.
Farid is the tallest in the class.
Fatima is the best student in our class. My father’s car is the most expensive carin the world