i. Verb + object + particle (separable)
a) Phrasal verbs are separable when they aretransitive (when they take a direct object)
e.g: - count out a person = count a person out
- he takes off his coat = he takes his coat off
- he takes in hisfriend = he takes his friend in
b) When a direct object is a pronoun, it mustbe between the verb and the particle.
e.g: - count him out / he takes it off / he takes him in
c) Some transitive phrasal verbs are inseparable:
e.g: - I’m looking for my glasses
- I ran into my old friend.
- my mother looks after the children
ii. Verb + particle (not separable):
some phrasal verbs are not separable when they are intransitive (they do not take a direct object)
e.g: - I get up at seven
- the plane takes off at eight o’clock