− When you heat ice, it melts/ if you heat ice, it melts
● Form : When/ If+ S + verb in the present simple, S + verb in the present simple
● Use : Zero conditional is used to express a fact or a general issue .
2. Conditionaltype :“I”:
− IfI have money, I will buy a car .
● Form : if + S +Verb in the present simple, S + will + infinitive of the verb
● Use : conditional type “I” is used to indicate that something is possible and also very likely to be fulfilled in the future .
3. Conditionaltype: “II”:
− If I had money, I would/ could/ might buy acar.
● Form : If + S +Verb in the past simple, S + would/ could/ might ….+ infinitive of the verb
● Use : conditionaltype “II” is used to indicate that something is possible, but very unlikely tobe fulfilled at present time.
4. Conditional type“III”:
If i hadrevised my lessons, i would /could/ might have passed the exam
I would/could/might have passed the exam if i had revised my lessons
● If + S + past perfect, S+ would/ could/ might… + have + past participle of the verb.
● S + would/ could/ might…+ have + past participle of the verb + if + S + past perfect
→ a thirdconditional sentence consists of two clauses: an if-clause and the main clause:
− If the if-clause comes first, a comma isusually used.
− If the if-clause comes second, there is noneed for a comma.
use : the third conditional is used to talk about things which didn’t happen in the past. It isoften used to express criticism and regret .
If you had driven more carefully, you wouldn’t have had an accident
→ Criticism : you had an accident because you didn’t drive carefully.
If we had played a little better, we could have won the game
→ regret : we didn’t play well, so we lost the game
5) The difference between “when” and “if” inconditional sentences:
● “If” → is used for something that, according to thespeaker might happen (he is not sure).
e.g: wecan spend the afternoon on the beach if the weather is fine.
● “When” → is used for something that, according to thespeaker, will happen (he is sure). e.g: Iwill clean up the kitchen right away when I’m back from work